31 days left. That’s it. 31 days until this crazy, painfully long year of 2016 is over. Now don’t get me wrong, this year hasn’t been HORRIBLE, but it has most definitely not been the year I was hoping for. We all have these hopes and dreams for the upcoming year around this time. Between getting ready for the holidays and spending time with family and all the merriness that goes with Christmas, that desire of wanting to better ourselves and have a fresh start still stirs beneath all the holiday cheer. Sure it seems cliche, but in my humble opinion, its human nature to want to better yourself. To never settle. To be ambitious. Of course, everyone is unique and how you choose to use your ambition is completely up to you. You can either choose to ignore that urge to change, or you can chase after with all you have.
So with that ambition in mind, it’s no wonder that we thirst for a chance at a fresh start. And every year, exactly one week after Christmas we get that chance at a fresh start. Ahhhh New Years. We now a brand new batch of 365 days. And what that new batch of days comes a new batch of goals.Don’t we just love setting goals for ourselves? For me, just putting my goals on paper gives me….hope. I know I know. Cheesy. I am who I am. No apologies. 🙂
One thing that does irk me about New Years Goal, majority of them are centered around losing weight. Not that losing weight is a bad goal. It is actually one of my goals for 2017 as well. Let’s face it, I can’t blame my extra 40 lbs on my little 3 year old anymore. BUT, there is so much more to bettering yourself than bettering your looks. So for 2017 I’ve decided to challenge myself with my goals. I will not focus solely on my outer appearance.Instead, I will focus on WHO I am. What I think, how I think, and how I act. These are my 2017 goals that have nothing to do with losing weight.
- Learn French-After doing some VERY limited research, I found that if I put in 10 hours a day, I SHOULD be able to learn a language in as little as 48 DAYS!….HA. Between a full time job and 2 kids under the age of 5, I’ll be lucky to put in 10 minutes a day. But I’ve always wanted to learn a second language, for many reasons. I would love to learn French in case I ever get the chance to visit Europe and I want to see as “un-touristy” as possible. And also, apparently being bilingual makes you much more valuable in the workforce.
- Start my masters degree-Yup. I’m in a rut career wise. I’m in a position with not a whole lot of chance for vertical movement if you know what I mean. I do love my job. I love where I work and I ADORE the people I work with. But I also love opportunity. I’m 27. I do not want to be in the same job I’m at now at 40. I’ve already applied and been accepted to a Human Resources Management Master program here in Greenville. I’m set to start in Fall of 2017. Plenty of time to find Financial Aid…right?
- Pay off ALL credit card debt- Credit Cards can be useful, if you know how to use them. I obviously do not. It’s painfully obvious I need to get rid of them and avoid them at all possible cost. I have enough debt in Student Loans. Why do I add insult to injury with Credit Cards?
- Save up a decent size emergency fund- This kind of goes with #3. I need to have an emergency fund for all of life’s lovely surprises if I plan on NOT using my devil credit cards. So what is a decent size? I would say $20,000, but that’s just me being greedy and unrealistic. So for 2017, my goal # is $5,000. No, I don’t have an extra $5000 every year to just throw in savings on just my full time income. But that’s what side hustles are for right? Saving money and beating debt? I’ll keep you guys updated with any side hustle ideas that work amazing or fall flat. I’m sure there will be lots of entertaining stories there.
- Be kinder- I know I know. This is awful general. But I have definitely noticed a hint of negativity in my persona lately. I stress out easily. I have a shorter fuse and the frustration tends to pour out on my kids or my husband. The LAST thing I want to be is THAT mom that just yells at her kids all the time. I don’t want my kids to fear me. I want them to know that 1) I am their parent, but 2) I am also their biggest cheerleader. The negativity has got to go. Not just for me, but for those around me.
- Pray more-This….This I believe can change everything. I’ve always been a tad religious. I believe in God. I believe Jesus died on the cross. And I try very hard to believe he loves me. Sometimes it’s hard because I find myself a person that can be very hard to love.But God is God and I am not so I will never understand his unconditional love. I will never wrap my head around that when I pray, He really is listening and He really does CARE about what I have to say. the creator of the universe CARES about MY thoughts, my worries, my joy, and my saddness. It’s humbling. I have GOT to get on my knees more and cry out for His help. Because obviously, I fail hard on my own.
There ya go. 6 well thought out goals for 2017. Now, every goal needs a plan. Because without a plan, it’s just a dream. That’s what this next 31 days is about. Planning for these goals. I will meet 2017 head on, completely prepared….HA. Well, slightly prepared. 🙂